Gynecomastia is defined as excessive growth of breast tissue, causing one or both breasts to protrude forward, causing embarrassment and tightness.
There are many different ways to treat gynecomastia with medication or surgery, but are there natural ways to treat gynecomastia in men ? The article discusses the possibility of treating gynecomastia in men naturally.
Gynecomastia often occurs in men in adolescence, and immediately after birth, which is the cause of breast enlargement in male children, and aging men, as a result of hormonal changes that occur in these stages, causing an imbalance in the balance of the hormones estrogen and testosterone, as the glands enlarge.
Testosterone inhibits breast growth to a certain extent, which is one of its functions, while the role of estrogen is to stimulate breast growth, so with a decrease in the level of testosterone and a rise in estrogen levels, gynecomastia appears in men.
Treating gynecomastia in men naturally
Natural methods of treating gynecomastia in men aim to reduce the protrusion of the breast a little, that is, to hide the symptom that causes embarrassment to the man, but these natural methods do not provide definitive treatment for gynecomastia, such as surgery or medications.
Gynecomastia treatment without drugs
Specialists advise several tips related to the general lifestyle. By following these tips, it is possible to reduce the fat deposited in the breast, thus decreasing its size a little. It is one of the ways to treat gynecomastia in men without surgery or medications, we mention them as follows :
- Quitting alcohol.
- Avoid stress and anxiety.
- Sleep sufficient periods of not less than 7 hours per day.
- Do moderate-intensity aerobic exercise for 20 minutes daily.
- Strength training exercises for major muscle groups twice a week.
- Stay away from processed foods.
Treatment of gynecomastia in men with food
Some foods help support testosterone levels in the body, which helps to restore the balance between hormones. A diet rich in all nutrients and vitamins rids the body of obesity and fat deposited in cells, where obesity also raises estrogen levels.
Here are some tips for foods that it is preferable to increase and other foods that are recommended to limit their consumption :
- Foods should include adequate vitamin D, zinc, and protein levels to support testosterone, as in tuna, egg yolk, and oysters.
- It is recommended to reduce the intake of soybeans, licorice root, and legumes, as they secrete some chemicals that mimic the action of estrogen.
Treatment of gynecomastia in men with herbs
Gynecomastia in men can be treated with natural herbs. Still, the results are uncertain, as you need a lot of clinical trials on humans to prove them. These herbs are called natural estrogen blockers, including the following :
- Turmeric : turmeric contains curcumin, which reduces estrogen levels, and high doses of curcumin raise the level of testosterone, but experiments were conducted on animals only, and it was not proven on humans.
- Wild nettle root : the nettle root or nettle leaf is used to make a medicine for prostate enlargement, as it contains estrogen-inhibiting substances, so it can be used to treat gynecomastia in men with herbs.
- Maca : a plant of the cruciferous family, has several benefits, including reducing estrogen levels in men and enhancing fertility.
- Grape seed extract : grape seed acts as an aromatase inhibitor or an estrogen blocker. It is useful for postmenopausal women because of the high chances of breast cancer, which makes it also useful in treating gynecomastia for men.
Some herbal supplements may also help in treating gynecomastia in men naturally, as they have testosterone-enhancing properties or reduce the appearance and swelling of the nipples, namely :
- Devil’s Claw.
- Tribulus Terrestris.
- Milk thistle.
- Red clover.